A bill sponsored by the North Carolina GOP would require teachers to push Conservative ideas about economics and foreign policy, Raw Story reported.
After basically no debate, the Senate Education Committee passed SB 524, which would require the teaching of a course called “Founding Principles for the United States.” The class would replace the basic American History course currently taught.
The course would teach students about:
- Constitutional limitations on government power to tax and spend and prompt payment of public debt.
- Money with intrinsic value.
- Strong defense and supremacy of civil authority over military.
- Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none.
- Eternal vigilance by “We the People.”
The Education Committee also passed a bill earlier this month (SB 480) that would limit teachers’ political activity.
State Sen. Angela Bryant called the bill’s language “murky” during the debates on the bill said it could infringe upon teachers’ rights.
Watch video of the debate on SB 480, posted by NC Policy Watch.